Saturday, May 2, 2015

Volunteers Services Abroad and my daughter Gabrielle


This is from my second daughter, as most of you live overseas, I am posting this for you to be aware of VSA, Volunteers Services Abroad. It is similar to the Peace corp that we were exposed to from USA.
What shall I say about my daughter Gabrielle? Even when she was in primary school, she was very aware of social issues. She volunteered in the Singapore Zoo.The first time she went, they gave her the worst job. Yet she persisted in going.

How should I feel when my daughter gives up a very cushy lawyer's job to become a volunteer in a remote pacific island? I trained her to have social consciousnesses. She had been to and helped me with my charity work. Now I just have to give my blessing and pray nothing bad will happen.

As a mum, am I happy for her to go.  That's her calling, and I am proud of her.

Ann
******************************************************************
I'm heading to the Solomons in July for 12-18 months with Volunteer Service Abroad (VSA).
To raise funds and awareness of VSA's work, I'm putting on a mid-week autumnal feast and would love for you to get some friends together to come along to a night of delicious food and drink, music and quality company.
The lush menu will be brought to you by my extremely talented friends: Meg Abbott-Walker (vino), Petra Galler (dinner) and Takumi Robert-Woodward (dessert).
$85 a ticket includes a 3 course meal and wine and is limited to 60 seats.
Please email me at gabrielle.chin@gmail.com to RSVP and let me know any dietary requirements (dinner is veggo-friendly).
If you can't make it along on the night I would appreciate any contribution! My fundraising page is at: http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/GabrielleChin/

A Fundraising Feast
Wednesday, June 3 at 7:30pm
Alleluya Bar & Cafe in Auckland, New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment